Most successful German tank destroyer of the Second World War
This photos are available in the shop. Click to go to the shop
Designed in 1943 to combat the numerical superiority of Allied tanks, the Jagdpanther (“hunting panther”) was well-shaped, low, fast and heavly armoured, with a powerful 88mm gun mounted on the up to date Panther classis.
The prototype was shown to Hitler on 20 October 1943 and production begun in February 1944. Although 150 per month were planned, only 382 had been built by the end of the war because of disrupted manufacturing facilities.
The first Jagdpanthers were issued to the German aemy in june 1944 and the largest group of them was assembled to fight the Ardennes offensive in December 1944.
This example was a Command version of the Jagdpanther, with provision for extra radios. The rippled plaster coating was applied for protection against anti-tank mines. It was knocked out by Allied gunfire in North-West Europe and brought to England for evaluation by the British Army at Chertsey. It was later maintained by the Royal Military College of Science, Shriventham and transferred to the Museum in August 1969.
In September 1944 a Cromwell tank commanded by Lieutenant W.H.Griffiths (now the Right Honourable the Lord Griffiths MC) of the 2nd Armoured Reconaissance Battalion Welsh Guards, Guards Armoured Division attacked and destroyed a Jagdpanther near Hechtel, Belgium. Firing from the rear at fifty yards range, Lieutenant Griffiths hit the engine compartment with 75mm armoured piercing rounds and immobilised it completely.
CREW: Six: Commander, gunner, 2 loaders, wireless operator, driver
ENGINE: Maybach HL230P30 12 cylinder, 690 hp
SPEED: 28mph(46 kph)
RANGE: 130 miles (209 km)
Length: 33ft 1 in (10m)
Width: 10ft 9in ( 3,3 m)
Height: 8ft 11in (2.7m)
WEIGHT: 44 tons 15cwt (44,765 kg)
ARMOUR: 3 inches maximum (7,5 cm)
ARMAMENT: 8.8cm Pak 43/3 L/71 gun, 60 rounds of ammunition and 7,92 mm machine gun